Professional translation and interpreter services for Finnish-English and English-Finnish.
The Finnish language – like Hungarian – has its origins in the Ural Mountains region of Russia. Distinctly different from Swedish and the other Nordic tongues, it’s considered one of the most challenging languages for non-natives to learn.
With fast, on-demand Finnish translation services, thebigword helps companies, large and small, to achieve quick turnaround on a huge variety of Finnish-English and English-Finnish texts – always with pinpoint accuracy and at highly competitive prices.
- 24/7 availability
- Order status tracking
- Immediate project launch
- Experienced, certified translators
Thanks to 30+ years of translation and localisation experience, our expert teams will swiftly and sympathetically translate your Finnish texts to English (and vice versa).
- Spoken by more than 5 million natives (or about 90% of the population), Finnish is one of two official languages of Finland (the other being Swedish).
- Outside of Finland, significant minority groups of Finnish speakers can be found in Sweden, Norway, Russia, Estonia, Brazil, Canada and the US.
- Finnish belongs to the relatively small Finnic language family, which includes Estonian and a handful of Baltic Sea area minority languages.
- The Finnish lexicon is far smaller than the English one, but words are suffixed to a much greater extent.
- The language is said to comprise only about 300 purely Finnish root words, with many more borrowed from the Baltic and Germanic languages, as well as Swedish and English. Russian loan words tend to be old or very old. The vast majority of modern loan words come from Swedish (administrative and modern cultural terms) and English (music, film, TV and international business terms).
- The prominence of English as a global business language has led many Finnish companies, notably Nokia, to adopt it as an official operating language.
- Written Finnish tends to be formal and uses the Swedish variation of the Latin alphabet, with two additional letters from Russian.
- The Finnish language is said to be easily recognisable on paper, due to the sparing use/absence of the letters b, c, f, q, w, x and z.
Finnish translation facts
- Modern Finnish can be yleiskieli (formal standard language) or puhekieli (colloquial). The former tends to be used in texts and writing, while the latter is the everyday spoken language of popular culture (e.g. music and TV sitcoms).
- Translating between Finnish and English requires an expert eye. The two languages employ widely different grammatical rules, phonology (speech sounds) and phonotactics (the rules governing sound sequences).
- There are seven Finnish dialects, under the broader headings of Eastern/Western. Each has many sub-dialects and slang terms. The Far-Northern dialects are considered to be the thickest and most difficult to understand.
- Spoken Finnish uses a large inventory of sounds, with many vocalic segments, plus long and short consonant variations.
- Due to the structure of the written language (with multiple elements bolted onto root woods), there are many extremely long Finnish words. The lengthiest has an impressive 61 letters.
- In English, there are three grammatical cases – the subjective (he), objective (him) and possessive (his). Finnish has a mind-boggling 15 cases.
- Each Finnish verb can have one of 200 potential endings! There are six groups of verbs, all of which can be conjugated according to person, number, tense and mood.
- Word order within sentences can be altered for emphasis and to convey subtle differences in meaning.
- Finnish speakers are noted for their ability to convey extremely long sentences, without pausing for breath.
Finnish translation and interpretation services
For professional, high-speed Finnish translation, companies look no further than thebigword. Our skilled and experienced native speakers are available 24/7 for all your Finnish-English and English-Finnish business translation needs.
Successfully handling up to 50,000 global assignments every day, thebigword has invested heavily in innovative language technology and expert operational teams to ensure high quality outcomes, on time, every time.
With access to 15,000+ talented linguists worldwide, you can expect the perfect, native speaker to meet your specific business requirements. Our translators work around the clock to ensure all your deadlines are met.
With no upfront fees/contracts, simply choose the pricing model to best suit your project needs.
Through our vast experience as an Finnish Language Services Provider we’ve gained unrivalled knowledge of translating and localising public-facing content, including websites, software and training materials. You can always trust us to ensure your messages hit the target.
Finnish global marketing
Finnish software and app localisation
Finnish enterprise translation
Finnish multimedia services
Finnish e-learning localisation
Finnish legal translation
Finnish website localisation
Finnish crowd sourced translation (CST)
Finnish machine translation
FINNISH TRANSLATORS AND INTERPRETERS
Qualified Finnish language professionals
Contact us today to find an Finnish translator or interpreter for your business needs. We deliver on time, every time, with linguists ready to assist you with: