Professional translation and interpreter services for Greek-English and English-Greek.
The world’s oldest recorded language – Greek – is rich, highly expressive and full of quirky sentiments and sayings.
Being informed, for instance, that you’ve eaten a donkey (minus its tail) indicates your business meeting is probably drawing to a close, with only a few minor details to finalise.
With 30+ years’ translation and localisation experience, thebigword will ensure your Greek communications always strike just the right tone.
- 24/7 availability
- Order status tracking
- Immediate project launch
- Experienced, certified translators
Thanks to our talented network of native translators, you can expect swift yet sympathetic handling of all your Greek-English and English-Greek texts – always at highly competitive prices.
- Perhaps the most self-assured of all the world’s languages, Greek has undergone fewer changes in 2,700 years than English has in a third of that time.
- In a branch category all of its own, Greek is an Indo-European language spoken by some 13.2 million people, predominantly in Greece, Cyprus and the Greek communities of Albania, Bulgaria, Turkey and across the globe.
- With most of its vocabulary inherited from Ancient Greek, almost everyone in Greece speaks the native language with pride.
- The 24-letter Greek alphabet has been around since the 9th century BC and informed most of the modern alphabets (including the Latin and Cyrillic ones) used today.
- Other Greek contributions to the English language include numerous scientific, mathematical and technical terms and, in particular, words beginning with or featuring ‘ph’ (examples: photograph, alphabet, philosophy and phobia).
- The longest word ever to appear in literature – at an incredible 171 letters – was Greek and referred to a fictional dish of fish, flesh, fowl and sauces.
- Greek was originally written like Arabic – from right to left on the page. Following a period when alternate lines were written R-L, then L-R, it’s now always written left to right.
Greek translation facts
- Despite its iconic historical status, Modern Greek has (like all global languages) acquired many colloquialisms and local variations, particularly among younger people.
- About a dozen regional dialects are officially recognised, including the Northern Dialects (e.g. Rumelian, Epirote and Thessalian) and Southern Dialects (e.g. Megara, Attica and Cyclades).
- English speakers will be familiar with the Greek letter sounds, but may be challenged by the three noun genders (masculine, feminine and neuter) and the four grammatical cases (English has only three).
- Greek punctuation requires special attention when translating to/from English. The Greek question mark, for example, is the symbol used as the English semi-colon (;).
- In common with other ancient languages of the world, Greek has a deep spiritual and philosophical basis. The challenge for translators is less about transcribing the physical words on the page/screen and more about choosing appropriate ways to convey entire sentiments or ideas.
Greek translation and interpretation services
For professional, high-speed Greek translation, companies look no further than thebigword. Our skilled and experienced native speakers are available 24/7 for all your Greek-English and English-Greek texts and content.
Successfully handling up to 50,000 global assignments every day, thebigword has invested heavily in innovative language technology and expert operational teams to ensure high quality outcomes, on time, every time.
With access to 15,000+ talented linguists worldwide, you can expect the perfect, native speaker to meet your specific business requirements. Our translators work around the clock to ensure all your deadlines are met.
With no upfront fees/contracts, simply choose the pricing model to best suit your project needs.
Through our vast experience as an Greek Language Services Provider we’ve gained unrivalled knowledge of translating and localising public-facing content, including websites, software and training materials. You can always trust us to ensure your messages hit the target.
Greek global marketing
Greek software and app localisation
Greek enterprise translation
Greek multimedia services
Greek e-learning localisation
Greek legal translation
Greek website localisation
Greek crowd sourced translation (CST)
Greek machine translation
GREEK TRANSLATORS AND INTERPRETERS
Qualified Greek language professionals
Contact us today to find an Greek translator or interpreter for your business needs. We deliver on time, every time, with linguists ready to assist you with: