Professional translation and interpreter services for Japanese-English and English-Japanese.
As the world’s second-largest research investor, Japan remains at the forefront of technological advancement – making a significant contribution to global prosperity.
Japan also boasts what is possibly the most unique and quickly-spoken language on the planet.
Global companies, large and small, rely on our on-demand Japanese translation services for quick turnaround on a huge variety of Japanese-English and English-Japanese texts – always at highly competitive prices.
- 24/7 availability
- Order status tracking
- Immediate project launch
- Experienced, certified translators
Thanks to 30+ years’ translation and localisation experience, and thousands of certified linguists, our expert teams will swiftly and sympathetically translate your Japanese texts to English (and vice versa).
- Japanese is in a language class of its own (Japonic) and has no genetic relationship with Chinese. Suggestions of a link with the Korean language have also been disputed/discredited.
- With some 124 million native speakers, and another four million worldwide, Japanese was the 7th or 8th most prevalent internet language in a number of recent surveys.
- Significant Japanese-speaking emigrant communities can be found in Brazil, the United States, Canada, Hawaii, Peru, Argentina, eastern Australia and the Philippines.
- With four distinct writing systems and three potential alphabets, Japanese is considered one of the most difficult languages to learn.
- The four writing systems are: Hiragana, Katakana, Kanji and Romanji. Hiragana, the original system, is syllabic and used for simple words and children’s literature. Katakana is used to write foreign words. Kanji (based on the Chinese writing system) consists of about 2000 symbols. More recently, Romanji (a Romanization of Japanese words) has led to simplified versions of the original characters.
- The main Japanese alphabet is a set of characters/symbols called Hiragana. The two other character sets used are: Kanji (Chinese characters) and Katakana, which is mainly used for foreign words.
- Japanese is one of the fastest spoken languages. According to a recent study, the speed (in syllables per second) was 7.84. English is spoken at 6.19.
Japanese translation facts
- Japanese bears little resemblance to any other major language.
- Dozens of dialects are spoken, each with variations in pitch, accent and vocabulary.
- Most English-speaking cultures tend to be low context, meaning the writer or speaker supplies the context. Japan is the opposite, relying on shared understanding over explicit explanations.
- Japanese nouns don’t have singular/plural forms, so unless a number is known or given elsewhere (e.g. in an illustration/table), it won’t be clear if there is one or many.
- English uses gendered pronouns (he/she) to refer to people already mentioned. The Japanese equivalents are rarely used. This can force unnatural translation choices (constantly referring to people by name) or lead to embarrassing gender faux pas.
- Japanese sentence structure does not map neatly to English. There can be tension between faithfulness to the source text and the need to create natural-sounding content in the target language. Staying too close to the Japanese can result in stilted English.
- English and Japanese both use the Gregorian calendar (years AD). However, Japanese dates are sometimes linked to reigns of Japanese emperors, e.g. 2016 = Heisei 28 (28th year of the Heisei Era, the reign of Emperor Akihito).
- Japanese makes extensive use of honorifics (word endings that convey different degrees of respect to children, peers, colleagues, guests, elders and teachers).
- Machine Translation (MT) is not recommended for Japanese translation. The results can be, at best, unnatural and, at worst, nonsensical. Your translations are safest in the hands of our highly-skilled and experienced human linguists.
Japanese translation and interpretation services
Trusted by businesses thebigword is first choice for companies requiring fast, effective Japanese translation. Our skilled and experienced native speakers are available 24/7 for all your Japanese-English and English-Japanese business translation needs.
Successfully handling up to 50,000 global assignments every day, thebigword has invested heavily in innovative language technology and expert operational teams to ensure high quality outcomes, on time, every time.
With access to 15,000+ talented linguists worldwide, you can expect the perfect, native speaker to meet your specific business requirements. Our translators work around the clock to ensure all your deadlines are met.
With no upfront fees/contracts, simply choose the pricing model to best suit your project needs.
Through our vast experience as an Japanese Language Services Provider we’ve gained unrivalled knowledge of translating and localising public-facing content, including websites, software and training materials. You can always trust us to ensure your messages hit the target.
Japanese global marketing
Japanese software and app localisation
Japanese enterprise translation
Japanese multimedia services
Japanese e-learning localisation
Japanese legal translation
Japanese website localisation
Japanese crowd sourced translation (CST)
Japanese machine translation
JAPANESE TRANSLATORS AND INTERPRETERS
Qualified Japanese language professionals
Contact us today to find an Japanese translator or interpreter for your business needs. We deliver on time, every time, with linguists ready to assist you with: