Professional translation and interpreter services for Portuguese-English and English-Portuguese.
Portuguese – with 250 million speakers – is the most prevalent language in the Southern Hemisphere.
The first language of South America and the second of Latin America (after Spanish), it has official language status on five continents.
For on-demand Portuguese translation services, global companies rely on thebigword for quick turnaround on a huge variety of texts – always at highly competitive prices.
- 24/7 availability
- Order status tracking
- Immediate project launch
- Experienced, certified translators
Thanks to 30+ years’ translation and localisation experience, and thousands of certified linguists, our expert teams will swiftly and sympathetically translate your Portuguese texts to English (and vice versa).
- Portuguese belongs to the West Iberian branch of the Romance languages, sharing some similarities with the other major Romance languages (Spanish, French and Italian).
- It is the sole official language of Portugal, Brazil, Mozambique, Angola and several African island nations. Additionally, it has co-official language status in East Timor, Equatorial Guinea and Macau, China.
- With half of the ‘New World’ once belonging to Portugal, only about 5% of Portuguese speakers actually live in the home nation. The largest Portuguese communities worldwide can be found in: South America, Latin America, Andorra, Bermuda, Canada, France, Japan, Namibia, Switzerland, the US and parts of the former Portuguese India (namely Goa and Daman & Diu).
- According to estimates by UNESCO (the UN organisation for education, science and culture), Portuguese is the fastest-growing European language after English and has the highest potential for growth as a global language.
- Since 1991, when Brazil signed into the economic community of Mercosul with Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay, Portuguese has been a mandatory school subject in those three countries.
- Most of the Portuguese lexicon is derived, either directly or indirectly, from Latin.
- Portuguese is written using the 26-letter Latin script, plus 11 diacritics (letters with marks/accents).
Portuguese translation facts
- Due to the vast geographical spread of Portuguese, translators have to navigate numerous regional variations and dialects.
- There are distinct Brazilian and European versions of Portuguese, plus specific dialects in Angola, Cape Verde and other countries.
- The Portuguese-based creoles, spoken in various parts of Africa, Asia, and the Americas, are more like independent languages than dialects of the standard language.
- With shared Latin roots, many English and Portuguese words have common origins. However, there is little overlap in the everyday vocabularies of the two languages.
- Portuguese is a generally more flowery (and lengthy) language than English, so the layout of text documents and online content will be affected by translation.
- The use of the double negative in Portuguese needs careful translation. Literal transcription might result in poor English, e.g. ‘I don’t know nothing’.
Portuguese translation and interpretation services
For professional, high-speed Portuguese translation, companies look no further than thebigword. Our skilled and experienced native speakers are available 24/7 for all your Portuguese-English and English-Portuguese business translation needs.
Successfully handling up to 50,000 global assignments every day, thebigword has invested heavily in innovative language technology and expert operational teams to ensure high quality outcomes, on time, every time.
With access to 15,000+ talented linguists worldwide, you can expect the perfect, native speaker to meet your specific business requirements. Our translators work around the clock to ensure all your deadlines are met.
With no upfront fees/contracts, simply choose the pricing model to best suit your project needs.
Through our vast experience as an Portuguese Language Services Provider we’ve gained unrivalled knowledge of translating and localising public-facing content, including websites, software and training materials. You can always trust us to ensure your messages hit the target.
Portuguese global marketing
Portuguese software and app localisation
Portuguese enterprise translation
Portuguese multimedia services
Portuguese e-learning localisation
Portuguese legal translation
Portuguese website localisation
Portuguese crowd sourced translation (CST)
Portuguese machine translation
POTRUGESE TRANSLATORS AND INTERPRETERS
Qualified Portuguese language professionals
Contact us today to find an Portuguese translator or interpreter for your business needs. We deliver on time, every time, with linguists ready to assist you with: