Professional translation and interpreter services for Thai to English.
Thailand’s national language is one of a group with significant linguistic and cultural differences to English.
With its own written script, and a tone-based pronunciation system, global businesses can rely on our highly-skilled and experienced Thai linguists to help them strike exactly the right note.
- 24/7 availability
- Order status tracking
- Immediate project launch
- Experienced, certified translators
Thanks to 30+ years’ translation and localisation experience, and thousands of certified language professionals, our expert teams can swiftly and sympathetically translate a wide range of texts and content – always at highly competitive prices.
- The Thai language is a member of the Tai language group, which evolved in the geographical area between China and Vietnam.
- It is spoken by an estimated 55 million people in South East Asia, most of them in Thailand, where it is the official national language. Outside Thailand, one of the largest concentrations of Thai speakers is in Los Angeles, California, which is home to an estimated 80,000 Thai immigrants.
- The oldest loanwords in Thai come from Chinese. It has also absorbed vocabulary from Sanskrit, Khmer (official language of Cambodia) and Portuguese. More recently, significant borrowings have been made from English.
- The Thai alphabet consists of 42 consonant signs, as well as vowel and tone markers.
- The language is written from left to right, with spaces to indicate punctuation.
- Thai is mutually intelligible with Laotian, the national language of neighbouring Laos.
Thai translation facts
- Unlike English, Thai is a highly contextual language, with subtle tones used to indicate meaning. Monosyllabic words are adapted through five variations in pitch (low, mid, high, rising or falling).
- Degrees of formality and politeness are central to the Thai culture and language. There are formal and informal variations for ‘eat’, ‘drink’ and many other words. Pronouns (e.g. he/she) are also adapted to show different degrees of politeness and respect. Politeness in Thailand, however, tends to reflect mutual respect, rather than a strict hierarchical social structure.
- Standard Thai, which is spoken in the Central Region of the country, is used in schools, by the media and for official purposes. Other key dialects largely correspond with geographical areas. Several of these are considered distinct enough to qualify as separate languages.
- Thai has its own set of numerals and also uses Arabic ones.
- Surnames were only introduced to Thailand in the early 20th century, and calling a person by their last name can still be considered unusual/unnatural.
Thai translation and interpretation services
Trusted by businesses thebigword is first choice for companies requiring fast, effective Thai translation. Our skilled and experienced native speakers are available 24/7 for all your Thai-English and English-Thai business translation needs.
Successfully handling up to 50,000 global assignments every day, thebigword has invested heavily in innovative language technology and expert operational teams to ensure high quality outcomes, on time, every time.
With access to 15,000+ talented linguists worldwide, you can expect the perfect, native speaker to meet your specific business requirements. Our translators work around the clock to ensure all your deadlines are met.
With no upfront fees/contracts, simply choose the pricing model to best suit your project needs.
Through our vast experience as an Thai Language Services Provider we’ve gained unrivalled knowledge of translating and localising public-facing content, including websites, software and training materials. You can always trust us to ensure your messages hit the target.
Thai global marketing
Thai software and app localisation
Thai enterprise translation
Thai multimedia services
Thai e-learning localisation
Thai legal translation
Thai website localisation
Thai crowd sourced translation (CST)
Thai machine translation
THAI TRANSLATORS AND INTERPRETERS
Qualified Thai language professionals
Contact us today to find an Thai translator or interpreter for your business needs. We deliver on time, every time, with linguists ready to assist you with: